Careers in the Industry
Are you a graduate considering a career in interactive entertainment but aren’t quite sure how to go about it, what to study or where? Are you are budding developer looking to break into the industry? Or perhaps you are a publisher looking for new talent?
Ukie can help you whatever your query.
Ukie works closely with Creative Skillset, the industry body which supports skills and training for people and businesses to ensure the UK creative industries maintain their world class position. Creative Skillset has a dedicated computer games web page, providing up to date information on training and education; tips for getting started; and news of any upcoming initiatives in the videogames and interactive entertainment industry.
Creative Skillset's course accreditation scheme, devised in consultation with industry and education providers, recognises courses within the UK that provide exceptional standards of training. Rigorously assessed by industry professionals, these courses have gained the backing of over 50 companies from the UK videogames and interactive entertainment industry.
Eighteen computer games degree courses have been accredited by the industry and Creative Skillset; click the links below for more information on each course and case studies of what it's like to study these accredited courses:
- BA Game Art Design, De Montfort University Leicester
- MSc Games Software Development, Sheffield Hallam University
- BSc (Hons) Games Software Development, Sheffield Hallam University
- MComp Games Software Development, Sheffield Hallam University
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Programming, Teesside University
- BA (Hons) Computer Games Art, Teesside University
- BA (Hons) Computer Arts, University of Abertay Dundee
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology, University of Abertay Dundee
- MSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology, University of Abertay Dundee
- MProf Computer Games Development, University of Abertay Dundee
- BA (Hons) in Computer Animation, University of Glamorgan - Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries
- MSc Games Programming, University of Hull
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology, University of the West of Scotland
- MSc Computer Games and Entertainment, Goldsmiths, London University
- MSc Computer Games Engineering, Newcastle University
- BA (Hons) Games Art and Design, Norwich University of the Arts
- BA (Hons) Computer and Video Games, Southampton Solent University
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Programming, Staffordshire University
Visit the Skillset website creativeskillset.org/games for more information on video games courses.
There are currently fourteen industry accredited animation courses in the UK:
- BA (Hons) Animation Production, Arts University College at Bournemouth
- BA (Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation, Bournemouth University
- MSc 3D Computer Animation and Visual Effects, Bournemouth University
- MA 3D Computer Animation, Bournemouth University
- BA Computer Animation / BA Animation, University of Glamorgan - Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries
- BA (Hons) 2D Digital Animation, University of Hertfordshire
- BA (Hons) 3D Digital Animation, University of Hertfordshire
- MA in Animation Direction, National Film and Television School
- BA (Hons) Animation, Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication
- BSc (Hons) 3D Computer Animation, Swansea Metropolitan University
- BA (Hons) Computer Animation, Teesside University
- BA (Hons) Computer Character Animation, Teeside University
- BA (Hons) Animation, University of Wales, Newport
Visit the Creative Skillset website creativeskillset.org/animation for more information on animation courses.
Creative Skillset has also now widened its accreditation scheme to include courses across the broader range of Creative Industry careers including subjects such as CGI/Computer Graphics, Art and Design, Creative Digital Media, 3D Arts, Design and Effects, Computer Graphics and Visualisation, Film, Interactive Media, Business courses and many more. For the full list of Creative Skillset’s accredited courses visit http://www.pickthetick.co.uk/
There are also a wide range of university degrees and diplomas that cover the broad range of skills needed for a career in the videogames industry. These include: Animation, Visual/Digital Effects, Art & Design, Games Art, Creative Digital Media, 3D Arts, Design and Effects, Computer Graphics and Visualisation, and many more.
Visit the UCAS website http://www.ucas.com/students/coursesearch/ for further information.
Please feel free to contact us directly if we can assist you in any way.